By Andru McCracken

Regional District properties as small as 1.6ha could be allowed to apply for a second residence if amendments to the zoning bylaw and Official Community Plan get the go-ahead. Residents who believe they are affected can write to the Regional District until noon Friday March 26 to share their concerns about the changes.

The changes would impact about 25 properties in the Robson Valley between 1.6 Ha and 2 Ha that are not in the Agricultural Land Reserve. The change is being considered after Trevor and Christine Pelletier applied to build a second home on their property on McLennan Road.

Trevor said that Christine’s parents hope to build a second home on their property.

“I don’t see why it would be an issue,” said Trevor. “So far everybody is okay with it.”

He said it aligns with a similar push in Valemount to allow for more housing.

A condition of adding another residence is having the ability to handle the sewage from a second property.

Regulations already allow for properties 2ha and larger to apply for a second residence.

The new regs also permit secondary suites, provided they take up less than 40% of the total floor space of the principal residence, meet sewage disposal requirements and the BC Building Code.