Fire threatens Valemount mall

By Korie Marshall

A fire in the trees next to the former Fields building on 5th Avenue on April 22nd may have been started by a cigarette, says Valemount Fire Department’s Assistant Chief Dean Schneider. A quick call to 911 by a local resident and a quick response from the fire department kept it under control, but with the right wind it could easily have gotten into the tree tops, endangering local homes and buildings. The McBride fire department also responded recently to a grass fire that got out of control. Please be careful with all sources of fire, especially in dry seasons and early spring. Be aware of the wind and have water nearby when burning, and properly dispose of your cigarette buts.