Several passes were made by two bombers as they spread retardant to help protect nearby residences. /JESSICA ARNOLD

By Andrea Arnold

The BC Wildfire Service responded with air tankers after the discovery of a wildfire in the Crescent Spur area on the afternoon of Friday May 9, 2024. 

The blaze, still designated out of control as of Tuesday morning, is located about 40 km northwest of McBride. The fire began adjacent to Prospect Road near the railway tracks close to the Crescent Spur gravel pit, and was reported at about 3:22 p.m. Friday.

“Currently we are actioning the wildfire with air tankers dropping retardant, as well as initial attack crews on scene,” the PG Fire Centre Information Team told The Goat via email early Friday evening.

A few hours after the attack on the fire began, reports came through that it had jumped the Fraser River. At 10:00 p.m. Friday evening, an evacuation alert was issued for the area between Highway 16, the Morkill FSR, the Goat River and a non-landmarked boundary along the north/northeast side of the blaze.” 

Flames jumped from tree to tree as well as across the river. Both of these photos were taken from private property very close to the edge of the fire in Crescent Spur. /SUBMITTED

Over the weekend, the fire was hit from the air and the ground as crews fought to bring it under control. The fire grew from its initial seven hectares on Friday to 220 hectares.” 

Smaller planes flew ahead of the bombers providing intel to ensure accuracy in the drops./ JESSICA ARNOLD

As of Tuesday morning the reported size of the blaze hadn’t changed for over 48 hours.

“BCWS staff and heavy equipment are working on the Northwest and West flank of the wildfire, helicopters are assisting the ground staff where needed. Structure protection staff is on site and are working on setting up structure protection units where needed,” the fire incident page of the BCWS website said on Tuesday morning.

Just before noon Monday, the Regional District of Fraser Fort George said the evacuation alert remains in place for the area affecting 16 civic addresses and hundreds of acres of farmland and that they do not expect any changes within the next 24 hours.

Two members of the BCWS initial attack team head into the smoky landscape. /ANDREA ARNOLD

As of Tuesday, there were two initial attack crews and two unit crews working to tame the fire. Five helicopters, four pieces of heavy equipment and structure protection personnel were also responding to the blaze.

The PG Fire Centre said it’s too early to determine an exact cause of the fire, but the investigation continues.

For the most up to date information on this fire, visit the BCWS website.