vctv satellite valemount tv

Valemount’s community TV station is now being carried on satellite service to customers across BC and Canada.

Both Bell and Telus subscribers can see Valemount’s local station with the acronym “VALE” in their TV guide on channel #653. The existing acronym, VCTV, was already taken.

While episodes from the fake news show Valemount Live! have been uploaded to YouTube for several years, this is the first time viewers across BC and Canada will be able to see the station exactly as it appears on local TV sets.

About 75 per cent of Bell subscribers across the country will get the station if they get the basic package. The remaining 25 per cent of Bell subscribers are on a new packaging structure and will only see VCTV if they live in one of 100-some BC communities, or the surrounding area. Those communities include McBride, Kamloops, and Prince George, among others.

Other community TV stations, like Chetwynd’s CHET TV, are also being carried on satellite. VCTV is one of just seven community TV stations in Canada.

The move of these stations to satellite was part of Bell’s obligation as set out by the Canadian Radio-Television Telecommunications Commission as a result of the company’s recent expansion.

The Valemount Entertainment Society has just hired a new station manager to produce content and run the station. Watch for his introduction in an upcoming issue of the Goat!